You can instantly purchase a range of cryptocurrencies using your debit or credit card.
If you have never made a cash deposit, first time card purchases will result in a temporary (72 hour) withdrawal hold on the account.
You must hold a valid Visa or Mastercard in the same legal name as your Kraken account.
Your debit or credit card needs to support 3D Secure version 1 (3DSv1).
Fees and limits
Card purchase fees:
- For every crypto purchase made with your card, a fee of 3.75% + €0.25 is deducted from the total spending amount specified.
- The transaction fee is provided on the final confirmation page and is visible before you complete the purchase.
- There are no hidden or additional fees and the total value shown on the Confirmation page is what Kraken will charge to your card.
- Depending on your card issuers policy, they may charge additional fees for cash advance or online card purchases. These fees are independent from Kraken’s fee and are outside of our control.
Card and transaction limits:
- The minimum transaction amount is €10.
- There is a maximum spending amount of €7,500 within a time-based 7 day rolling period.
- Purchase amounts count towards your daily and monthly funding limits.
- A maximum of 3 attempts to save your payment card is allowed within a 30 day rolling period. Deleting saved cards will not reset this limit so be mindful of this before removing any of your saved card details. Card information is securely stored and displayed according to PCI compliance regulations. Each new purchase will require 3DS authentication.
Purchases are currently only available in euros. Once you select credit/debit card as the payment method, the spending amount will automatically change to EUR and any purchases will be charged to your card in EUR as well. Please ensure that your card issuer is able to process any applicable currency conversions.
The Global Settings Lock (GSL) prevents saved cards from being deleted. To delete your card, please disable this setting by following these instructions on how to remove GSL from your account.
If you have Trading 2FA, you will only be able to use your existing account balances. To use your card for a purchase, please disable Trading 2FA.
Failed or declined transactions
There are a number of reasons why a transaction could fail:
- The browser or app was either closed or refreshed before the crypto order could complete.
- Website or API connectivity issues.
- Adverse market volatility, meaning we're unable to lock down a price.
Transactions can also be declined by your card issuer if:
- They do not allow payments to crypto exchanges.
- You input the wrong 3DS code.
- They do not support 3DSv1.
If your card was charged but you did not immediately receive your crypto assets, the transaction will automatically be voided within 2 hours.
These lists are not exhaustive, so please contact our support team if your purchases continue to fail.
Explanation of 3D Secure (3DSv1)
3DSv1, typically referred to as "Verified by Visa" or “Mastercard SecureCode", is an additional security layer used to authorize online purchases by entering a password or one-time-PIN. This authentication step is currently enforced on every transaction.
Digital or Cloud banks may require the purchase to be authorized within the app.
If you are unsure if your card is 3DSv1, please contact your card issuer to enquire if they support this security feature.
We do not currently support 3DSv2.