With Kraken’s new Buy Crypto tooI, you can now instantly purchase a range of cryptocurrencies using your credit or debit card.
If you have never made a fiat deposit, first time card purchases will result in a temporary 72 hour withdrawal hold. Please review our support article here, which explains how this will affect your Kraken account.
- Your Kraken account must be verified to the Intermediate or Pro level, with residence in: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Saint Barthélemy, Switzerland, Cyprus, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, United Kingdom & Northern Ireland, French Guiana, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Greece, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Monaco, Montenegro, Martinique, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Portugal, Réunion, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, San Marino, Holy See (Vatican), or Mayotte.
- Purchases are currently only available in Euros.
- You must hold a valid Visa, Maestro, or Mastercard in the same legal name as your Kraken account.
- Your debit or credit card needs to support 3D Secure™.
- Our Buy Crypto tool is specifically designed for easy buying, selling, and trading. Withdrawals to cards are not supported. Should you wish to withdraw crypto or fiat currencies, you will need to request it via the Funding section of your Kraken account.
- If you have the Global Settings Lock (GSL) enabled, you will not be able to add a new card for purchases. To disable this setting, please follow these instructions on how to remove GSL from your account.
- The Buy Crypto feature is based on the price being locked for approximately 120 seconds. Delays in completing the 3DS challenge will result in the order not executing.
- Closing the browser or paging back before you receive the final confirmation that your purchase was successful, will result in the order not executing.
- If your card was charged but the purchase failed to execute, the transaction will be cancelled and funds returned to your bank account. The reversal may take up to 10 working days to be processed by your bank.
- You might see that the transaction date differs to the date of your purchase. This is referred to as the settled date, which could have a delay of a few days after your purchase on Kraken.
Adding a new credit/debit card and completing your Buy Crypto purchase
- Click on “Buy Crypto”.
- If you don’t have any existing EUR funds in your Kraken balance, you will see a warning message "Funds are required to purchase assets. Deposit Euro". This is expected, and will be resolved by adding a new card.
- Click on “Pay with” and select “New debit & credit card”.
- Enter your card details and click "Add New Card".
- Input your card billing address and click Save. Once your card has been validated, you will return to the main page to complete your purchase.
- Enter the "Amount" you want to spend; select the cryptocurrency you want to "Buy"; select your card from the drop down “Pay with” menu; and click “Preview Buy”.
- Before completing the transaction via the "Buy Now" button, you will be able to review the purchase details on the “Confirm your order” page.
- Authorize the transaction with your 3D Secure password or one-time-pin.
- Please wait while your transaction is processing (do not exit or page back on your browser).
- On the final confirmation that your purchase was successful, you will have the option to view your receipt.
Explanation of 3D Secure™ (3DS)
3DS is an additional security layer used to authorize online purchases by entering a password or one-time-PIN. This feature is supported by most banks or financial institutions and is typically referred to as "Verified by Visa" or “Maestro/Mastercard SecureCode".
Digital or Cloud banks may require the purchase to be authorized within the app.
If you are unsure if your card is 3DS, please contact your issuing bank to enquire if they support this security feature.
Validation failed or declined transactions
There are a number of reasons why a transaction could be failed or declined by your bank. The most common being:
- Your card does not support 3DS;
- There are insufficient funds in your bank balance to complete the purchase;
- Your bank does not support the transaction type;
- The 3DS password or pin was invalid;
- You have input incorrect card or billing details.
This list is not exhaustive and our Support team are not provided with specific reasons for the failure. Please contact your bank to inquire about the transaction.
Where to find your crypto purchase
The cryptocurrency that you have purchased will be credited to your Kraken account balance. The transaction will be visible on your Ledger History in the format of:
- Deposit -> The total amount charged to your card.
- Spend -> The purchase value after the transaction fee has been deducted.
- Receive -> The final amount of cryptocurrency credited to your Kraken balance.
Please note that the fiat amounts shown are truncated. To view the fees down to the cent, click on the Ledger ID for the Deposit entry.
Credit / debit card fees and limits
For every instant crypto purchase made with your card, a fee of 3.75% + €0.25 is deducted from the spending amount specified. This is displayed as the transaction fee, and is visible before you confirm your order. There are no hidden or additional fees, and the "TOTAL" value shown on the Confirmation page is what Kraken will charge to your card.
Depending on your bank’s policy, they may charge additional fees for online card purchases. These fees are independent from Kraken’s fee, and are outside of our control.
There is a €1 minimum purchase amount, and a maximum purchase limit of €500 within a time-based 7 day rolling period. For example: If you spent €100 on Monday at 07:00 and €400 on Tuesday at 23:00, you will not be able to make any additional purchases until 07:00 of the following Monday. After this time, you will have a limit of €100 until 23:00 on Tuesday. If you don’t make any further purchases, the full limit of €500 will again be available.
There is no limit on the number of daily transactions, but keep in mind that each transaction will incur a fee.
A maximum of 3 payment cards can be added within a 30 day rolling period. Deleting saved cards will not reset this limit, so be mindful of this before removing any of your saved card details. For peace of mind, your card information is securely stored and displayed according to PCI Compliance regulations. Each new purchase will require 3DS authentication.