Kraken is an exchange service, not a wallet service. We provide clients the ability to deposit funds to our corporate wallet for safekeeping while the funds are being exchanged or used for trading, but we do not provide a personal wallet service.
As with most exchanges, funds sent to deposit addresses are moved to cold storage and hot wallets. Withdrawals are handled by the hot wallet and not the deposit address; the sending address for withdrawals will be different than the deposit address.
This means that:
(1) Deposits: If you deposit to a Kraken address that is not listed on your deposit page, it will not be possible for us to return the funds. It is your responsibility to ensure that the address to which you are depositing is listed on your deposit page, and that you are sending the correct cryptocurrency to it.
(2) Airdrops, Forks, & ICOs: You will not be able to receive airdrops, potential or proposed forks, or ICO tokens on your Kraken account.
(3) Withdrawals & Fees: Transaction fees for withdrawals are automatically set by our system and cannot be changed. While we do our best to include a fee so that transactions will be confirmed within a reasonable amount of time, we cannot guarantee it due to the unpredictable nature of blockchain congestion.
(4) Withdrawals & Smart Contracts: Do not attempt to withdraw digital assets from Kraken if ownership of the sending address is relevant to the transaction.
For example, if you're depositing into an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) address, Kraken's hot wallet will be the depositor and not your personal Kraken deposit address. You will not be able to receive those ICO tokens.
(5) Withdrawals & Returns: If you withdraw digital assets from Kraken to a third party that returns the withdrawal to the address from which it was sent, those assets will not be recoverable by Kraken. Please take the relevant steps to prevent your funds from being sent to addresses that are not listed on the deposit page of your account.
(6) Kraken-to-Kraken transfers: You will not be able to send cryptocurrencies from one Kraken account to another.
What's a good personal wallet?
Ledger and Trezor are two of the most popular makers of hardware wallets. You can visit the websites below to learn more about these security devices.