Application Programming Interface (API) keys can be generated on your Kraken account to allow external applications permission to perform actions on your account such as trades, access account funding or track the data on your Kraken account.
This article assumes that you are aware of the security risks involved in generating API keys for your account.
Two-factor Authentication (2FA) is one way of reducing the risks of API keys.
How to set up 2FA for an API key
2. Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the page.
3. Click on Security.
4. Scroll down to the API Keys section and toggle the on/off button for the api key that you would like to add a 2FA for:
5. Select your 2FA option (2FA App or Password).
- For 2FA App, open the Authenticator app on your device and either scan the QR code provided or manually enter the key by selecting “View setup Key”. Then, enter the numeric code that appears in the Authenticator app, and select “Confirm”.
- If using the Password option (least secure), follow the instructions to set up a password and select "Confirm"
6. Select the actions that Two-factor Authentication will be required for. Then, click "Confirm" to continue.
Note that the function selections are not currently enabled, so the 2FA code will be required for all API calls using this API key.
7. Congratulations, that's it! You have successfully set up 2FA for API key you selected and you will see that it is now enabled.