Secure your Kraken account by using an authenticator app to set up two-factor authentication (2FA) for specific account actions like signing in, trading, depositing and withdrawing, and resetting your password.
- Navigate to the Security page of your account.
- Sign in to your Kraken account.
- Select your name in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Select Security.
- Select 2FA Settings.
- Decide which function you want to set up 2FA for.
- Select the OFF/ON dial under the desired function (sign-in, funding, trading, Master Key, API keys) or select Change method if you currently have 2FA set up and you would like to change it.
- Select 2FA app
- Open the authenticator app on your device and either scan the QR code provided or manually enter the setup key.
- If you want to backup your secret key, see this article.
- Enter the numeric code that appears in your authenticator app and click the Confirm button.
- Congratulations, you have secured your Kraken account!
- If you set up sign-in 2FA, you will see "2FA app" appear under authentication method.
- If you set up funding 2FA, trading 2FA, or Master Key 2FA, the "On/Off" dial will be toggled to the on position to the right.
- In all cases, 2FA app will be shown as the method.
2FA names displayed in authenticator app:
When syncing your account with a 2FA app like Google authenticator the app will receive and display "kraken.com (Kraken - ‘Sign-in/Funding/Trading/API’ (username)" by default. You can rename this entry anytime in the app settings by selecting the account and editing the name.
Your account is at risk of being compromised, if the device that your authenticator app is on has been lost or stolen, especially if your email account can be accessed from that device. In this situation, you should immediately sign in to your account to make the necessary changes to your account settings. If you are unable to sign in, please fill out this form to have your account temporarily disabled.