This article will show you how to secure your Kraken account by using an authenticator app to set up Two-factor Authentication (2FA) for specific account actions.
If you want to learn more about authenticator apps and how they work, click here.
How to set up an authenticator app on Kraken
1. Go to the Security page of your account
- Login to your Kraken account.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Click on "Security".
- Click the "OFF/ON" dial under the desired function (Login, Deposits & Withdrawals, Trading, or Master Key).
3. Click on the “SET IT UP” button for “Authenticator App”.
4. Keep the recommended settings and click "Next" to continue.
- Our default recommended settings maximize security with compatibility. It is best not to change the settings unless you have a specific need to do so.
5. Open the Authenticator app on your device and either scan the QR code provided, or manually enter the secret code.
- If you want to backup your secret key, see this article.
6. Enter the numeric code that appears in your Authenticator app, and click the “SAVE” button.
7. Congratulations, you have secured your Kraken account!
- If you set up Login 2FA, a gray lock icon will appear.
- If you set up Funding 2FA, Trading 2FA, or Master Key 2FA, a purple "ON" icon will appear.
- In both cases, "Authenticator App" will be shown as the method.
Security Tip: If the device that your Authenticator app is on has been lost or stolen, your account is at risk of being compromised, especially if your email account can be accessed from that device. In this situation, you should immediately log in to your account to make the necessary changes to your account settings. If you are unable to log in, contact the Kraken Support team by opening a support ticket to have your account temporarily disabled.