A static password can be used as a Two-factor Authentication (2FA) method on your Kraken account for Deposits & Withdrawals(i.e. Funding), Trading and as a Master Key, to provide another layer of account security.
WARNING: A static password is less secure than using a Yubikey or an Authenticator app, since the password does not change with each use. If you're able to, we strongly recommend you set up 2FA using a Yubikey (best) or Authenticator app (second best) instead of a static password.
How to set up a static password for 2FA
1. Go to the Security page of your account
- Login to your Kraken account.
- Click on your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Click on "Security".
- Click the "OFF/ON" dial under the desired function (Funding, Trading, or Master Key).
3. Click the “SET IT UP” button for “Static Password”
4. Enter the password that you have created in both boxes. It is important that this password is not used anywhere else, and it must follow the password rules. Then, click the “SAVE” button.
5. Congratulations, you have secured your Kraken account!
- If you set up Funding 2FA, Trading 2FA, or Master Key 2FA, a purple "ON" icon will appear.
- "Static Password" will be shown as the method.
Security Tip: Static passwords must follow our password rules, and should be long and complex. It is recommended that you use a password manager, a computer program used for generating and storing passwords. If you want to know more about password managers, see the links below: