The Global Settings Lock (GSL) is a security feature that:
- Prevents changes from being made to your Kraken account.
- Hides sensitive account information.
For more information on the Global Settings Lock, click here.
Important: Before setting up a GSL, be sure to create a Master Key in case you change your mind. A Master Key has the ability to turn the GSL off at any time. Kraken support is unable to expedite the GSL unlock process.
Note: While the Master Key override option can be convenient, it comes with an increased security risk if your Master Key is compromised.
How to set up the Global Settings Lock (GSL)
1. Log in to your Kraken account.
2. Click on the "Settings" tab, and then click on “Account”.
3. Locate the "Global Settings Lock" at the bottom of the page and click the "On" button, which will turn green.
4. Set the required waiting period to unlock the GSL without a Master Key.
You will be notified via email of any attempted unlock of the GSL on your account. The waiting period is the amount of time you'll have to take action in the event of a compromise. However, it's also the amount of time you'll have to wait yourself if you lose your Master Key (or if you never set one up in the first place).
If you want the GSL to only be unlockable using a Master Key, set the number of days to '0'.
Warning: The Master Key can only be created before the GSL is turned on. Once GSL is on, you will not be able to create a Master key as that is the entire point of the GSL.
If you set the unlock process to ‘0’ days and forgot to set up a Master Key, you'll need to contact our support team to get the GSL removed.
Our support team is unable to assist with GSL removal if the unlock process is set between 1-30 days.
5. Click the green "Update Settings" button, enabling the Global Settings Lock and completing the set up.