A Master Key is a security feature that allows you to:
- Prevent a password reset, even if your email account is compromised.
- Bypass Two-factor Authentication (2FA) for sign-in if you lose access to it.
- Turn off the Global Settings Lock (GSL) on your account immediately.
We recommend setting up a Master Key in combination with other security features.
How do I set up a Master Key?
You can set up a Master Key by signing in to your Kraken account and clicking on the “Security” tab. Next, click the "On/Off" dial under “Master Key” and choose the method you want to use.
The methods are:
- Yubikey device (most secure)
- Authenticator app (moderately secure)
- Static password (least secure; not recommended)
IMPORTANT: The Master Key should be kept separate from account sign-in information or any other 2FAs, as storing this information together would create a security threat to your account.
For example, if you use a Yubikey for Sign-In 2FA, then use authenticator app or a different Yubikey for the Master Key.