A static password is less secure than using a Hardware Security Key or an Authenticator App, since the password does not change with each use. If you're able to, we strongly recommend you set up 2FA using a Hardware Security Key (best) or Authenticator App (second best) instead of a static password.
How to set up a static password for 2FA
- 1Go to the Security page of your account
- Select your name in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Select Security.
- 2Decide which function you want to set 2FA up for.
- Select Change method or toggle the OFF/ON dial under the desired function (Trading, or Master Key).
- 3Select button for Password.
- 4Enter the password that you have created in both boxes. It is important that this password is not used anywhere else and that it follows our password guidelines. Then, click the Confirm button.
- 5Congratulations, you have secured your Kraken account!
- The On/Off switch will be toggled to the on position (to the right) for the function you have setup and "Password" will be shown as the method.
Security Tip: Static passwords are required to follow our password guidelines and should be long and complex. We recommend using a reputable password manager for generating and storing passwords.