Interac is a Canadian interbank network that serves as the Canadian debit card system and has existed for more than 35 years. An Interac e-Transfer is a secure payment option in which you can send and receive bank transfers using your email address.
Interac e-Transfer is protected by federal legislation and Canada’s robust and secure banking system. This makes it one of the safest and most trusted payment methods in the world.
- Have a Canadian bank account that supports Interac.
- The name on your bank account must match the name on your Kraken account.
- A Canadian phone number must be present on your Kraken account.
- Interac e-Transfers are only available to clients residing within Canada.
- Your Kraken account must be verified to Intermediate or Pro level.
This section is for clients using the Kraken interface (kraken.com). For a guide using the Kraken Classic interface, visit this article.
To help your deposit go smoothly, use our deposit checklist before sending any funds.
Follow the steps below to initiate a deposit using an Interac e-Transfer:
- Sign in to your Kraken account and click on the Deposit button.
- The dropdown will be pre populated with your default currency. If this is not CAD (Canadian Dollar) you can search for CAD in the search menu.
- Click the Directly tab and enter the amount of CAD you would like to deposit.
- Click Begin e-Transfer deposit.
- You will receive an email from Interac which contains instructions on how to complete your transaction.
- Once you accept the request, you will be redirected to the Interac e-Transfer webpage so that you can select your bank institution.
- After you select your bank institution, you will be taken to your online banking homepage so that you can accept the transaction and choose the bank account you wish to deposit funds from. The optional message field can be left blank.
Once you have completed the instructions by Interac, you will receive an email confirmation.
This section is for clients using the Kraken interface (kraken.com). For steps on how to withdraw via the Kraken Classic interface, visit this article.
To initiate a withdrawal using an Interac e-Transfer:
- Sign in to your Kraken account and click the Withdraw button on the home page.
- Search for CAD (Canadian Dollar). In the second dropdown select Payper (Interac e-Transfer).
- Enter the amount you wish to withdraw and review the Additional Information section, to ensure your withdrawal goes smoothly.
- Click Withdraw CAD.
- You will receive an email from Payper with a Secret Answer (password) and details of your transaction.
- If you have AutoDeposit enabled your funds will be automatically deposited to your account.
- If you do not have AutoDeposit enabled you will receive a second email, sent after the first one containing your Secret Answer, that will allow you to accept the transfer.
- You will then select your financial institution and choose the bank account to transfer the funds to using your Secret Answer.
- Once you have completed the instructions above, you will receive an email confirmation.
Your financial institution may require authorization for the e-Transfer. The transaction will be shown as a debit in your bank statement but may not have been released. In this case you will need to contact your financial institution and approve the transaction.
For additional information on funding providers; fees; minimums and processing times, see our deposit options and withdrawal options for more details.
- The limits we have for deposits are 3,000 CAD per transaction, 10,000 CAD daily, 30,000 weekly and 100,000 monthly.
- The limits we have for withdrawals are 4,000 CAD per transaction, 10,000 CAD daily, 30,000 weekly and 100,000 monthly.
- Deposit fees are 1.5%. with a maximum cap of 30 CAD.
- Withdrawal fee is 10 CAD.
Frequently asked questions
If your transaction is not yet finalized you can simply decline the transaction or not fulfil it. If the deposit steps are completed, and your transaction still displays the pending status, your transfer might require an authorization from your bank to be released. In this case, we would advise you to contact your bank.
An e-Transfer is authorized through your financial institution. You must have access to your bank account to authorize the transaction. If you did not authorize this transfer please contact Support.
- Check any previous emails from Payper, as well as your spam folder in your email. You can use your transaction ID or reference number to help you find the correct email.
- Your Secret Answer will not change. If you have a Secret Answer from a previous transfer you can use the old one provided.
- If you are still unable to locate an email with your Secret Answer, please contact our Support team for assistance.