This article outlines troubleshooting steps you can take if you’re experiencing performance issues with Kraken Pro/Cryptowatch.
If notice an extremely low FPS (frames per second) on the Kraken Pro/Cryptowatch chart, your browser may be misconfigured.
This is probably due to hardware acceleration being disabled for HTML5 canvas. Enable it and restart your browser.
1. In a new tab, open about:config
2. Make sure layers.acceleration.disabled is false
3. Restart Firefox
You may also have to set layers.acceleration.force-enabled to true. Read more.
Incidentally, Firefox 57 introduced an update which can dramatically speed up page rendering. Upgrading to Firefox 57 might be a good idea.
Lastly, we notice that in general Google Chrome has an easier time hitting 60fps when scrolling/moving cursor. We recommend Chrome over Firefox.
In Chrome/Chromium-based browsers:
1. Open Chrome Settings and find Advanced > System
2. Make sure “Use hardware acceleration when available” is enabled
3. In a new tab, open chrome://flags
4. Make sure “Accelerated 2D canvas” is enabled
5. Restart Chrome
High CPU usage
If the chart and interface are not lagging but Kraken Pro/Cryptowatch is consistently using a lot of CPU (50% or more), you can try a few things:
1. In the settings panel, throttle the order book refresh rate
2. In the settings panel, make sure “animate feeds” is disabled
3. Draw fewer indicators or make candles wider
4. Run fewer Kraken Pro/Cryptowatch tabs
5. Buy a better computer
If none of the suggestions above help, you can reach out to us with some diagnostics to get some help. It’s possible you’ve stumbled across a bug or inefficiency in our code that is causing the issue.
- Record a performance profile while you are experiencing the high CPU usage
- Found under the “Performance” tab in Chrome or Firefox developer tools
- Save the profile file and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the following details:
- Which browser(s) you’re having problems in
- Which URL(s) which exhibit the problem
- How consistently the problem happens (occasionally? every time?)
- How long the Kraken Pro/Cryptowatch session is open before the problem starts (after a few days? immediately?)
Our developers can use this profile file to better understand where the bottleneck is and fix it in our codebase.