The master key is a special passcode reserved for certain sensitive account actions that won't need to be performed very often. For best security, we highly recommend that you create the master key. But it should be kept very secure and separate from your other passcodes. Creating the master key does the following:
- Increases the security of account password reset (the master key must be provided for reset).
- Allows you to obtain a two-factor bypass code for account login (the master key must be provided to get a temporary OTP bypass code).
- Allows to you bypass the global settings lock so that settings can be changed immediately.
How to set up a Master Key
1. Log in to your Kraken account
2. Go to the "Security" tab and click "Two-Factor Authentication"
3. Click the "View/edit details" link beside the "Master Key" entry
4. Click the grey "Change" button on the right
5. Choose your desired type of Master Key (password, Google Authenticator, Yubikey, etc.):
- If you choose "Password", enter a custom password to use for your Two-Factor Authentication into the password field, and you will then be taken to another screen to confirm your Master Key
- If you choose "Yubikey" you will need to sync your device
- If you choose "Google Authenticator", choose an algorithm (SHA1 tends to work best at this time), and your desired one-time-password length, click "Continue", and you will then need to either scan a QR code or setup your key manually by entering the OTP manual setup key into your device